Friday, April 24, 2015

Earth Day Work Day

I got to help my friend Mackenzie out at the Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge for their Earth Day Work Day event. She is another AmeriCorps member and coordinates volunteers for DFNWR. I volunteered to help her for one of my service day requirements and it was a lot of hard work, but I met some neat people and we did some good for the DFNWR ecosystem.

My crew of 15 with their weapons of choice.
My crew was responsible for removing White Bryony and Poison Hemlock, two invasive species that cause harm to plants and animals. We cleared about a third of a mile of coastline in a few hours and pulled hundreds of plants.

Blake holding one of the larger Bryony roots we pulled that day.
The carnage of a former Bryony patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment